Yes, the Oscars are back again — it’s almost like they happen every year! Anyways, this year is noticeably lacking diversity in color and gender… not necessarily unusual for the award ceremony, but certainly not a good thing. Just a few years after #OscarsSoWhite was trending, it looks like they’re trying to revive the hashtag.
So without farther ado, we bring you this year’s nominations for the Oscars — and of course, we’re here to point out some of the biggest snubs as well.
For Performance by an actor in a leading role;
- Antonio Banderas in PAIN AND GLORY
- Leonardo DiCaprio in ONCE UPON A TIME…IN HOLLYWOOD
- Adam Driver in MARRIAGE STORY
- Joaquin Phoenix in JOKER
- Jonathan Pryce in THE TWO POPES
Of course, the question on everyone’s mind is “WHERE IS ADAM SANDER FOR UNCUT GEMS?” Even Sandler pointed out while he was sad, at least he didn’t have to wear suits anymore. Also shockingly missing was Robert De Niro for his performance in “The Irishman”, which seemed to be on lock.
Anyways, you better get used to seeing “Joker” pop up – it got 11 nominations, the most of any film this year.
Performance by an actor in a supporting role nominees:
- Tom Hanks in A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD
- Anthony Hopkins in THE TWO POPES
- Al Pacino in THE IRISHMAN
- Joe Pesci in THE IRISHMAN
- Brad Pitt in ONCE UPON A TIME…IN HOLLYWOOD
Pretty sure this is the exact same list of nominees from 1996. Our question here is where is Winston Duke for his performance in “Us”? Plus, after Jamie Foxx nabbed a SAG award for his emotional role in “Just Mercy”, it’s shocking he was skipped over for the Oscar. But okay.
Performance by an actress in a leading role nominees:
- Cynthia Erivo in HARRIET
- Scarlett Johansson in MARRIAGE STORY
- Saoirse Ronan in LITTLE WOMEN
- Charlize Theron in BOMBSHELL
- Renée Zellweger in JUDY
Most people thought Jennifer Lopez was a guarantee to get a nod for her role in “Hustlers”… and not to mention Florence Pugh in “Midsommer”, Awkwafina in “The Farwell”, and Lupia Nyong’o for her duel roles in “Us”